Monday, August 25, 2014

Wash Day: Prepping for Relaxer

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

It has been a long time since I’ve cleansed my hair with an actual shampoo. I’ve been mainly incorporating moisture in my hair by doing co-washes and deep conditioners. I shampoo my hair every two weeks but during this whole time, I’ve yet to experience product build-up. But, this wash day, it was mandatory to wash my hair since I’ve been constantly moisturizing and sealing my hair, co-washing and all the other craziness. I’m so happy that this stretch is coming to an end because school is about to start and I want a fresh look!

I pre-poo my hair using coconut oil on my scalp and twists overnight. It left my hair feeling very soft. I washed my hair using Herbal Essence Hello Hydration Shampoo. My hair did not feel stripped, just very soft still. I mainly focused the shampoo on my scalp and let it come down my hair as it was being rinsed out. Some of my twists were unraveling but I’m going to take it out during the week for my relaxer.

I’m proceeding to do a medium/hard protein treatment so that my hair can be strong enough for my relaxer process. The protein treatment that I’m using is Africa’s Best Hair Mayonnaise. When I used their relaxer kit years ago, their hair mayonnaise never smelled as strong as the big container does. The smell was very weird but not so pungent that I didn’t want to use it. I deep conditioned with heat using Laila Ali Conditioning cap for about an hour. After rinsing it out with warm water, my hair still was feeling soft.

It was around three in the morning after I rinsed it out. So, I immediately grabbed Aunt Jackie’s In Control Conditioner and applied it on my hair. I’m doing this so that I can get a balance of moisture and protein.
I decided to leave this conditioner on overnight because I was soo tired. I know you’re wondering why I decided to do it so late. The reason why is because I had a lot of things to do during the day and I wouldn’t have time to do anything. I was thinking that it wouldn’t take me so long to wash my hair but obviously, I lied to myself.

In the morning, I rinsed it out under cold water and the results were the same. I t-shirt dried my hair then added my trio of water, Africa “Shea” Butter and Hollywood Beauty Crème. Since my hair is already in a style, I just added gel to my edges to lay them down and let my hair air dry. Since it’s really hot in Charleston, it took about an hour and a half to dry. Here is a picture of the final results of my hair:

How was your recent wash day?
The Wash Day Experience

10 comments:

  1. WOW! I your twists really held up during your wash day process! That's a really good idea especially if you have hair that tangles easily. Do you feel like all of your twists got clean?

    Thanks for sharing your #washdayexperience chica!

    KLP | SavingOurStrands

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At first I thought that my hair wasn't going to get cleaned but at the end, I noticed nice and cleansed hair. My twists were a little loose and at times they do tend to unravel so I think that helped a bit as well.

      Delete
  2. I tend to do my hair in the late evening or night so I totally get you:) I have had many to day wash days as I was too tired to do anything else after either shampooing lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol it was ridiculous! Washing my hair isn't a long process for me but I was really tired which was weird to me. But I'm happy that someone washes their hair at night. I'm finally not the only one lol

      Delete
  3. I need better time management when I wash my hair. I tend to make it last all day and night. Most times, I start at night so it's like late, late night when I'm done. Not good. Your hair looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Divachyk! I used to manage my time for wash days but something always is getting in my way. When I wash it at night, every one is sleeping and it goes smoothly.

      Delete
  4. Cute twists! Herbal Essence Hello Hydration gets a lot of attention, I'm so curious to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely love the conditioner. Plus it smells really nice. It makes my hair soft and detangles my hair very well. You should definitely give it a try

      Delete
  5. Wow! A protein packed wash day. I like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I mainly focus on moisture because my hair gets dry fast. This helps me out to figure out when I need protein.

      Delete